St Andrew’s School for Girls, with Africa Media Online, embarked upon the digital archiving of selected items in the school archive collection in 2015.
The initial digitisation project was to place all the available issues of the St Andrean, the school magazine, online in searchable low-resolution pdf format. Currently issues of the St Andrean from 1950 to 2020 are available through the Digital Archive. This project will be completed in 2022. with future editions of the St Andrean added each year.
The two published histories of St Andrew’s School for Girls are also available, in searchable low resolution pdf format. A new school history, currently in preparation, is expected to be added to the digital archive at the end of 2022.
These resources provide a wealth of information about the school and are a valuable starting point for school history enquiries.
Users are advised to register and log in for maximum viewing of the Digital Archive.
To browse and search the collections/create a customised selection of items/request a high resolution digital copy of an archive item
- Click on ‘Galleries’ from any menu on the page. Select the appropriate gallery and item within the gallery.
- Click the explore icon which pops up near the lower right of the item picture. A new web page will open loading the individual pages of the item which can then be browsed.
- A single search term may be placed in the search box, when ‘hits’ in the item will show up as blue tear drops.
- Click on the tear drop which will turn white and then the appropriate page will load with the search term highlighted.
- Navigate to next search result.
- The search box on the Home page may also be used but will only show ‘hits’ in the St Andrean galleries. The items in the history gallery have to be opened individually for searching.
- Items may be saved to the Selections Box for later viewing when the registered user is logged in.
- Copies of high resolution files may be supplied on request, for private use only, to bona fide registered users.
Charges and donations
- Charges will be made for certain archive services, including copying and delivery charges where applicable.
- Donations to the St Andrew’s School for Girls Heritage Foundation are much appreciated. Further details about the Heritage Foundation are to be found at www.standrews.co.za/about-us/heritage-foundation/